There is a right outfit every time and place. You wear something formal for work, you wear something comfortable at home, and you wear something special if you are off to a party. The same goes for gardening. Not wearing the right clothes when gardening can give you a hard time while doing all the gardening work.
Wearing jeans may give you some kind of protection, but they may not feel very comfortable once the sun is up and it gets really hot. Wearing sneakers may later make your feet feel heavy especially if mud gets stuck on it. Wearing flip flops barely provide any sort of protection from anything. Thus, it is important that you dress the part.
Things to Consider When Deciding What to Wear While Gardening
Even if you are not going gardening, you should always consider comfort first when looking for something to wear. Find something that can allow you to move freely and something that does not make you feel too hot when the sun is up. Of course, wear something you love to wear while taking care of your plants!
When gardening, you tend to be exposed to a lot of things. You could be exposed to the sun, rain, dirt, bugs, and weeds that can make you itch. Thus, when looking for something to wear for tending your garden, you must look for something that is going to keep you away from these elements.
Yes, affordability is important when thinking about what to wear, but be careful, because some cheaply manufactured clothes can get torn or worn out easily. When you are gardening, you will be moving quite a lot, and you can get caught in branches and whatnot, so it is important that you go for something that will survive anything thatâ€™s damaging.
What to Wear While Gardening
1. Gardening Hat
When gardening, you are going to be exposed to all kinds of weather. One day, you will probably be right under the scorching heat of the sun, and the next, it could be drizzling. You can get sick if you get soaked in the rain and a slight drizzle could be bothersome for you. On the other hand, getting too exposed to the rays of the sun can promote the development of wrinkles (and even skin cancer), and also it can lead you to get sunburnt skin. Therefore you have to protect yourself from these things by getting a nice hat for gardening.
What to Get:
- omni-shade: uv protection at its best, omni-shade materials block uva and uvb rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. the tight weave construction offers lasting sun protection against the full spectrum of sunshine
- omni-wick: the ultimate moisture wicking technology for the outdoors. omni-wick quickly moves moisture from the skin into the fabric where it spreads across the surface to quickly evaporate—for a dry fit that keeps you cool and comfortable
- always sunny: this sun hat features built-in upf 50 shielding, an ultra-sweat-wicking headband, and a mesh vent panel for those hot outdoor days
- handy features: a high-performance hat that features a full 3” brim, equipped with an adjustable drawcord, and toggle size adjustment at the back for a perfect fit
- built to last: columbia’s attention to detail is what sets our apparel apart. specifying only the highest quality materials, expert stitching and craftsmanship. this is a long-lasting hat you will enjoy for seasons to come
This hat from Columbia is made from textured nylon poplin and it is lightweight, and it can also make you feel cool the entire day, whatever the weather, thanks to its mesh vents. If it is sunny, this hat has got you covered. It has a wide brim, and it has a UPF 50 sun protection technology that can protect you from UV rays.
2. Gardening Pants
Wearing skimpy shorts when going gardening is definitely not a good idea, because you could end up being attacked by mosquitoes or bugs. Also, that would mean exposing yourself to the sun even more.
On the other hand, wearing tight jeans or pants with unnecessarily thick leather will make you feel hot, especially if it is summer and also, they might be much less comfortable. Gardening requires you to move a lot, and such pants may not allow you to be very flexible.
So go find a nice pair of gardening pants that can allow you to move freely. Look for something with an elastic waistband and something that is made of those kinds of fabric that are stretchable (so you can move around as much as you want), breathable (so that you will never feel hot), and durable (so that your pants can last even if your legs brush against some bushes or thorny stems).
What to get:
- flattering fit, sizes up to 5xl - workwear revolution scrub pants for women have the sizes you want and the features you need. available in sizes from xxs to 5xl plus petite and tall inseams. our modern classic fit mid rise womens scrubs are designed for comfort and maximum durability. tapered leg. regular inseam = 31”. (underscrub sold separately.)
- elastic waistband with drawstring - do you like the ease of a pull-on elastic waistband and the adjustability of a drawstring? these womens cargo pants have you covered with a hybrid waistband featuring the best of both worlds for a comfortable and secure fit. the elastic waistband is covered in a soft knit with a front drawstring providing both stretch and adaptable fit. plus size scrubs for women available.
- ultra-soft stretch fabric - workwear revolution cargo pants for women with pockets are constructed from a smooth two-way stretch poly/rayon/spandex twill fabric. this tri-blend fabric is ultra-soft, stretchy, durable, and machine washable making it comfortable and easy care to outlast your toughest work shift. these are medical drawstring pants women will buy again and again.
- five pockets, badge loop - these womens scrub pants feature two roomy front angled pockets to store your work gear, a cargo pocket on the right side, and two back pockets. bungee id badge loop on cargo pocket for additional storage. pockets on these nurse scrubs for women are large enough for iphones and galaxy phones.
- quality you can trust - workwear revolution medical uniforms & scrubs work as long and as hard as you do. we proudly created these drawstring scrubs pants for women that include durable and dependable fabric, reinforced stress points, and sturdy stitching to stand up to the tough job of healthcare heroes.
Comfort is an important factor when looking for the right pair of gardening pants, and this pair is going to give you exactly that. It is made of polyester, rayon, and spandex twill, and it has an elastic waistband so you can adjust it whichever way you want! It also has several pockets–a cargo pocket, a back pocket, and some slash pockets–so you do not have to stress about where you are going to put small items while gardening.
You can simply wear a durable and comfortable shirt when gardening, but if you have a choice, then go for a coverall.
Aside from being able to provide greater coverage unlike other types of clothing that you can wear for gardening, coveralls are also versatile. They are not just for people fixing cars or doing some carpentry work. You can also use them for gardening. In addition to that, coveralls are not just for men! These days, there are so many coveralls for women that you can buy online or from physical stores.
What to get:
- superior comfort fit: these coveralls feature a generous, roomy fit in the chest & shoulders, a bi-swing back to accommodate a full range of motion, elastic waist inserts for exceptional comfort, & concealed snaps at waist, neck & cuffs for secure fit
- sturdy functionality: these deluxe coveralls are built for hard work & fully equipped with a heavy duty brass 2-way front zipper, roomy front & back pockets secured with brass zippers, handy dual tool pockets on the right leg, and a hammer loop on left.
- durable workwear: this roomy coverall is built for utility, efficiency & easy care, no matter how greasy or grimy the job. durable yet breathable poly-cotton twill resists fading, wrinkles & stains. features heavy-duty brass zippers & concealed snaps
- trusted name: the world's leading performance workwear brand, dickies has been making quality workwear & apparel since 1922. all dickies clothing offers superior craftsmanship & unmatched value to deliver classic style & long-lasting comfort every day.
- we make jeans, outerwear, school & work uniforms, sports shirts, kids wear, hats, socks, underwear, boots, gloves, belts, eyewear, backpacks, bags & much more. 7.75 oz twill
Most coveralls are uncomfortable because they make you feel â€œwrapped up,â€ but not this one. This coverall from the trusted brand, Dickies, is made of polyester and cotton, and it has a really comfortable fit particularly in the chest portion and it has elastic waist inserts so you can move freely. If you are looking for something with lots of storage, this one will not disappoint in that aspect, too, since it has front and back pockets as well as tool pockets and one hammer loop.
Considering how sturdy this coverall is, you can use it for many other work activities aside from gardening, too!
The wrong choice of footwear when gardening can give you a hard time. Wearing slippers will expose your feet to the sun and lead to you getting sunburnt and ugly tan lines. Also, if the ground is muddy, mud will stick to your slippers and they will become heavy. Sneakers or rubber shoes, on the other hand, might collect a lot of dirt. Also, they are not suitable for rough terrains and slippery and muddy ground. So go and buy a nice pair of boots.
Boots can withstand just about any kind of weather and they come in different heights, colors, and types. Choose one that is made of high quality material and that fits you just right.
What to get:
- pvc polyblend injection molded construction is seamless and 100% waterproof but flexible for greater comfort; resistant to degradation from agricultural chemicals, fertilizers and animal waste
- ct (comfort technology) offers a unique scalloped top-line for easy flexing; guide along shaft allows for customized height; reinforced at critical stress points for longer wear
- lightweight foot form contour cushion insole provides arch and heel support, and is removable, washable and replaceable
- deep angle cleated outsole prevents slips and falls on slippery surfaces; contoured heel cup reduces heel slippage; steel toe impact protection; astm f2413-11 m i/75 c/76
- recommended use: food processing, custodial, farm, general purpose
This pair of boots are great for gardening because it is 100% waterproof, it cannot be easily damaged by chemicals used for agriculture or gardening, and it is made of PVC, so it is easy to clean. Also, it is lightweight, so you definitely will not struggle to work in these.
Not wearing the right clothes for gardening can make the work feel harder for you. You will not be able to move freely, and you will be exposed to the scorching heat of the sun or bugs you definitely do not want to land on your skin. So make it a point to look for something you will wear strictly for gardening. Look for a good hat, top, pants, coveralls, and a tough pair of boots. You can also get gloves if you want! Of course, make sure that whatever you are going to get, they are comfortable, protective, and durable.