Rain barrels come in handy when you need to conserve water. Gardens need a lot of watering throughout the seasons and a rain barrel helps you conserve water for the drier months. While harvesting rainwater can seem like a straight forward job, you still need the right barrel for the job.
5 Best-Selling Rain Barrels
Table of Contents
- 1. RTS Home Accents 50-Gallon Rain Water Collection Barrel
- 2. Good Ideas RWURN Rain Wizard Rain Barrel
- 3. Enviro World EWC-10 FreeGarden Rain Barrel
- 4. Gardener’s Supply Company 75-Gallon Rain Barrel
- 5. Green Rain Barrel
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Rain Barrels
Our top 5 recommendations and easy buying guide will help you pick the right rain barrel for your garden.
1. RTS Home Accents 50-Gallon Rain Water Collection Barrel
RTS Home Accents 50Gallon ( Brass Spigot, Wood Grain)
- 50 usg / 190 l flat back rain barrel
- authentic oak barrel appearance that will not rot or fade
- linkable to other rts home accents rain barrels for increased capacity
- manufactured from commercial grade 12 year uv stabilized polyethylene to be durable and impact resistant
- shut off valve for hose hook-up with dual overflow
With a capacity of up to 50 gallons, this water barrel is a practical option for rainwater harvesting. It comes with an aluminum screen to keep debris and dirt out. The brass spigot shut off valve provides a hook-up for a hose and dual overflow.
- A front-side overflow to keep water from flooding
- Fade and rot-proof oak barrel texture molded into the barrel for durability
- A flat back is specially designed to sit well against your house’s wall
2. Good Ideas RWURN Rain Wizard Rain Barrel
Rain Wizard Urn 65 ( Barrel - Terra Cotta)
- 65 gallon capacity rain barrel
- urn shape and color add class and style to your rain harvesting
- self-draining planter top
- meshed screen blocks debris from entering your water supply
- flat back design sits tightly against any outside wall
This rain barrel comes with a 65-gallon capacity. This impressive capacity and the planter on top of the barrel make this one of the best rain barrels in the market. The flatback design ensures that the barrel sits snugly against your wall. It also comes with a sturdy spigot to hook up to your hose.
- Beautiful design that accentuates any dÃ©cor
- Made from durable UV resistant and BPA free plastic
- Comes with a self-draining planter at the top of the barrel
3. Enviro World EWC-10 FreeGarden Rain Barrel
Enviro World EWC10 FreeGarden ( Rain Barrel, Beige)
- large 55 gallon capacity
- sleek flat back square design fits naturally in any location around the home
- high quality injection molded keeps it looking clean and new year after year
- comes complete with all brass standard size spigot, extension hose ,powder coated steel screen and child locking screws; no base required
This water barrel has a 55-gallon capacity. It comes with an extension hose and a steel screen that helps to keep dirt and debris out. With this rain barrel, the overflow hose will help you avoid flooding. The child lock screws are a convenient addition to prevent accidents.
- Modern sleek flat back design.
- A stainless steel mesh screen
- Modern design with a flat back that fits perfectly against your wall
- No base required
4. Gardener’s Supply Company 75-Gallon Rain Barrel
KYOTO RBSS75 75Gallon Rain ( Rain Barrel, Brown)
- withstands extreme temperatures
- stone-like appearance for contemporary aesthetic elegance
- brass spigot for easy filling of watering cans
- overflow spout
- drain plug helps to drain water and sludge at the bottom of the barrel
This 75-gallon rain barrel is made of sturdy and durable UV resistant plastic. It comes with a corrosion-proof screen for keeping out dirt and debris. The childproof lock is a handy convenience to help prevent accidents.
- It comes with four decorative feet that provide enhanced stability
- Durable and weather-resistant material
- It comes with an additional plug for draining any dirt or debris
5. Green Rain Barrel
Green Rain Barrel ( 54 Gallon)
- features removable debris screen
- built-in 4 foot hose with thumb valve stores neatly in slot at top of the barrel
- made of durable, uv-stable polyethylene
- link two or more together in seconds.
- a foolproof linking kit is included with every barrel, so you can add capacity as your garden expands
This rain barrel from Achia is the perfect combination of stylish design and functional durability. With a capacity of 54 gallons, this rain barrel provides a sturdy and durable solution for water harvesting. It comes with high-pressure outlets and a linking kit to enable you to increase your water capacity as needed.
- It comes with a 4-foot hose with a thumb valve
- Sturdy and durable material that is weather-resistant
- Has a debris screen to keep your water clean and free of debris
Water is a limited resource and conserving rainwater is not just good for the environment but it can also reduce your water costs. Rain barrels are a simple way to conserve water for the dry months. There are plenty of rain barrels in the market to choose from with capacities ranging from 50 gallons to 80 gallons.
Depending on your needs, here are some consideration to keep in mind when picking the best rain barrel for your needs.
1. Consider the Material Used to Make the Main Barrel.
Plastic is the most commonly used material when it comes to rain barrels. However, rain barrels can also be made from clay, stainless steel, wood or even stone.
- Plastic rain barrels are lightweight, easy to clean, weatherproof and affordable. They are therefore a practical choice for most gardens. Plastic rain barrels also come in a variety of designs and colors giving you an array of options to choose from. If you opt for a plastic rain barrel, always pick one made using BPA free plastic to ensure your water is safe.
- Wooden rain barrels are attractive and safe since they are made using a natural material. While they will last for some years, it is important to remember that wood is biodegradable and will eventually rot after repeated exposure to water.
- Clay rain barrels are decorative and can serve both as planters and rain barrels. However, they tend to have smaller capacities and may not be a practical option if you want to conserve large volumes of water.
- Stainless steel rain barrels are durable and weather resistant. They usually have large capacities and can be used to store water for long periods of time.
2. Determine the Most Suitable Size and Design based on the Intended Location
Depending on the location where you will be placing the rain barrel, the appropriate size and design will vary. Flatback designs are great choices if you will be placing your rain barrel against a wall. This design ensures a snug fit and prevents your barrel from toppling over.
Some rain barrels come with stands for stability. This will come in handy if you want to place the rain barrel on an uneven surface. However, stands are not necessary if your space is even.
Bigger rain barrels come with a larger water capacity but will also be larger in size. You, therefore, need to pick a rain barrel that will fit into your space but still has enough water capacity to meet your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, food-grade barrels are a requirement if you are storing water for consumption by humans or pets. If you are using rain barrel water for watering your garden or yard, you can use non-food grade barrels. However, are always a better choice since they keep your water free from contamination.
Use fine wire mesh to keep debris, bugs and other materials from getting into the rain barrel.
Elevating your rain barrel makes it easier to attach a hose and fill a watering can. You can use a stand to elevate your rain barrel.
When the rain barrel is full, the excess water flows out of the overflow release valve. This prevents flooding. However, If the rainfall is too heavy, the overflow valve may not be able to keep up causing excess water to bubble over the top of the barrel.
Rain barrels should be opaque. This means that they should be dark-colored to prevent light penetration into the barrel. Sunlight promotes algae growth so light-colored barrels are not recommended.
A rain barrel is a practical addition to any garden. Always ensure you observe safety precautions to prevent tipping over or water contamination. The best rain barrel will help you conserve water for use in the drier months and cut down on your water costs. Pick one that will match your needs and budget.