Do you have a mini vegetable garden in your backyard that you always find troublesome to till? If so, it’s most likely, because you lack the appropriate tilling tools. All you need to make the task rewarding and straightforward is a high-quality mini garden tiller.
5 Best-Selling Mini Garden Tiller
Table of Contents
- 1. Sun Joe TJ604E 16-INCH Garden Tiller
- 2. CRAFTSMAN C210 Gas Powered Tiller
- 3. Earthquake 12802 MC440 Mini Cultivator
- 4. Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7490 Tiller
- 5. Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis 2 Cycle Tiller
- Buyers Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Garden tillers make work easier. Most are lightweight, do most of the work for you, and work faster as well. If in search of one, this list contains five of the best tillers you can find in the market today. All you need to do is choose one that suits you best.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Mini Garden Tillers
- powerful: 13. 5-amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. wide x 8 in. deep
- durable: 6 steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- easy storage: handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- wheel-adjustment: 3-position wheel adjustment
- we’ve got you covered! : your new tiller + cultivator is backed by the snow joe + sun joe customer promise. we will warrant new, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. no questions asked. contact snow joe + sun joe customer support at 1-866-766-9563 for further assistance.
This mini garden tiller by Sun Joe is not only powerful but also easy to use. If looking for a tiller that will help you level your mini-garden within the shortest time possible, consider trying this one out. It is electrically powered and quite easy to maintain.
- Has a collapsible handle for convenient storage and transport?
- Comes with six steel angled tines
- Three-position wheel adjustment
- easy-to-use: lightweight design, variable speed throttle, comfortable v-grip handle, and removable transport wheels provide greater control, easy maneuvering, and less fatigue during your yard job.
- four-patented steel tines: four 3-way steel tines mix in nutrients, cut through roots, and dig deep for premium soil prep. take on the tougest tasks with this tiller.
- simple 3-step start: easy-start technology makes starts faster and simpler. designed for quicker, smoother and easier pull starts allowing you to get to work right away on yard work, lawn care, and other projects.
- compact engine: compact 25cc 2-engine handles a variety of tasks for vegetable gardens, flower beds, and tilling around shrubs.
- adjustable width and depth: choose the perfect setting for your project - adjust tilling width from 6-9 inches and tilling depth up to 5 inches.
If looking for a tiller that comes in a lightweight design or one with simple starts, try this tiller by CRAFTSMAN out. It has an easy start technology that makes it starts faster, enabling you to start working right away. With it, youâ€™ll most probably handle lots of tasks in your vegetable garden.
- Has 4 three-way tines that help till with ease
- Has a compact 25cc engine
- Comes with a comfortable v-grip handle
- convenient & quiet: four-cycle engine requires no mixing of oil and fuel, and it runs quieter.
- stand-up starting: start and stop comfortably from behind the handlebars without bending over.
- long lasting: superior air filter design keeps engine-damaging dirt outside of the engine.
- powerful & clean: largest-in-class 40cc 4-cycle engine.
- accessories: use with optional edger kit (p/n 15073) to maintain clean borders and edges, and dethatcher kit (p/n dk43) for healthy lawns. (sold separately)
This mini cultivator by Earthquake comes with a 4-cycle engine that requires no mixing of oil and fuel. It is easy to start and stop, runs quieter, and is also easy to operate. The cultivator can not only weed but also mix in fertilizer, mulch, and also help in soil aeration.
- Works through all types of pre-tilled soils
- Comes in a superior air filter design
- Comes with a 40cc 4 cycle engine
- powerful honda 4-cycle (gas only, no fuel mix required) 25cc engine spins the tines twice as fast as other tillers
- weighs just 24 pounds. tine speed up to 240 rpm
- finger controlled throttle for infinite speed control and ease of operation
- the compact 9 inch width allows the tiller to get into tight spaces around your yard that larger tillers cannot get to.
- includes handy kickstand for steady placement when not in-use and for easy fueling
With a powerful Honda 25cc engine, this tiller works twice as fast as any other tiller. Its tines till down 10 inches deep and come with a handy kickstand that makes it easy to place for easy fueling. It also folds for easy storage and transport.
- Has a finger controlled throttle for speed control
- Compact hence easy to get into tight spaces
- Has unique curvy tines for ease of operation
- ultra lightweight. compact, powerful, commercial quality, for greenhouse-quality soil
- 10" digging depth, 9" tilling width
- folds for easy storage
- weight 20 lbs
- gas/oil mix
Last on the list is yet another garden tiller by Schiller Grounds Care. It is ultra-lightweight, powerful, compact, and best for greenhouse quality soil. The tiller uses gas/oil to operate and very durable.
- Folds with ease for storage and transportation
- Tills 9 inches width and digs down 10 inches
- Easy to use and built to last
Listed below are some of the factors you need to consider before purchasing a mini garden tiller:
Ask yourself how you intend to use the tiller before you pay for it. Do you need one for groundbreaking or re-tilling? If, for the groundbreaking, consider going after a powerful gas tiller.
For smaller gardens that require maintenance from time to time, consider getting an electric mini garden tiller. It might suit you best.
2. Soil Type
The type of soil on your land greatly affects the choice you have to make when selecting a garden tiller. If your backyard has loose and soft soil, you’ll require less effort when digging it up than one with rocky soil.
Clay soil is a little bit harder and also requires more power to till, meaning that you need a powerful tiller for that. If your land is very rocky, go for a tiller with special tines that will help break it up with ease.
At times, you might be unsure of the tiller to get for the soil in your land. To clear the doubts and get the best, just consult the seller or representative from the brand selling.
3. Power Source
Some tillers are gas-powered while others are powered by electricity. Those powered by electricity are easy to use, require little maintenance, and lightweight. They are, however, less potent when compared to the gas-powered ones.
Gas-powered tillers, on the other hand, are the best when working on larger gardens as they tend to carry out bigger tasks quickly. You’ll, however, have to put more work and money when using them.
How easy is it for you to store the tiller? Is it foldable? These are some of the questions you should unravel first before you pay for the tiller you have in mind. Always go for a mini-tiller that comes with foldable handles for easy storage and transportation as well.
Before you get the tiller, ensure that you have a storage space set aside for your tiller. A small shed or some space in your garage, perhaps?
When using a tiller, you have to think of your safety as well. Remember that tillers come with sharp tines that are quite dangerous in case of an accident when tiling. Ensure that you read the instructions manual before you start using the tiller.
Tillers require proper maintenance if they are to last longer and work as intended to. Read every instruction on maintenance as you would do safety. It is the only sure way of keeping your tiller running for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
The tiller to go for will depend on personal preferences, the size of your garden, soil type, state of your garden, among other factors. For instance, if your backyard is quite rocky, a gas mini-tiller will work best. An electric mini-tiller will work best on a smaller garden while a gas tiller suits a larger one.
Always remove the tines after every use and ensure that you clean them up. You also need to spray the tines and the shaft as well with a light lubricant to protect them from rust.
You should also replace the fuel filter every three months or after 100 hours of running.
Yes. A tiller will help you level your land and break new land as well. Actually, a tiller makes it very easy to level land for an excellent planting bed.
A cultivator helps mix loose soil while a mini garden tiller helps break up hard pieces of untilled ground. It’s challenging to use a cultivator when creating a new garden as I’s tines aren’t as heavy-duty as those of a garden tiller. It cant loosen hard soil.
With a mini garden tiller, you won’t have to spend lots of time and energy loosening the soil in your backyard. Get rid of that digging fork and invest in a tiller that will help you prepare your mini vegetable garden for spring planting. All the products listed above work best, and choosing what you think will work for you is all you need to do.