Lawns are a real oasis of green, and they make our outdoor spaces vibrant. We all take pleasure in what they offer; dazzling spots for relaxing, the soft and spongy feeling, as well as grounds for pets and children to romp on.
5 Best-Selling Granular Bug Killer for Lawns
Table of Contents
- 1. Ortho Bug B Insect Killer for Lawns
- 2. Bonide Insect and Grub Control Granules
- 3. EcoSMART Insect Granules
- 4. Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer Granules
- 5. Sevin Lawn Insect Granules
- Why Granules Lather Than Spray?
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
At times, pests may invade your space and pose a threat to children and pets alike. What if bugs have infested your lawn? You take action! Luckily, we’ve got you covered. Read on to get all the information you need on the best granular bug killer for lawns. Keep your teeming green turf free from bugs and maintain a safe outdoor space for children and pets to play around.
This article provides you with detailed information on the top choices for bug killer granules.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Granular Bug Killer for Lawns
Efficient in killing all bugs in your lawn
This product is efficient on lawns, home perimeters and ornamentals. Ortho granules kill over 235 lawn insects and help keep your lawn bug-free for about three months. You should apply the granules early in the season before the bug population surges.
The product kills bugs systemically; thus, you have to wait for a while before the bugs completely disappear from your lawn.
- Apart from bugs, it kills over 235 other insects
- Safe for children and pets
- Harmful to pollinating bees and aquatic life
- Has Chemicals
Bonide Products manufacture them. These granules help prevent over 40 types of insects, for instance, chinch bugs, billbugs, cutworms and grubs crane flies. A 6 Lbs bag of this product can cover 7,500 square feet of a lawn.
This bug killer granules contain Imidacloprid and Lambda-Cyhalothrin ingredients. Although the product is not harmful, children and pets should not be allowed in the application area since direct contact may lead to irritation in parts like the skin, throat and nose.
- Safe for children and pets after the grass is dry
- Kills above 40 types of insects, bugs included
- Requires the use of a spreader (not included)
- Slightly harmful to fish and other aquatic life forms
Ecosmart granules are the best pick for pet lovers. These insect granules are 100% organic; therefore, they ensure pet and children safety. They contain essential oils that block neuroreceptors in insects like bugs. Therefore, they are safe for other living things. Additionally, unlike most insecticides, Ecosmart granules come with a pleasant smell.
With lawn owners becoming aware of insecticides’ hazardous nature, these organic granules have a surging demand.
- Purely organic
- It is non-toxic, i.e. safe for pets, children, birds and aquatic life.
- Safe for water sources
- Slow in reaction
- kills lawn insects: use outdoors on lawns and as a band treatment around your house foundation.
- kills more than 100 insect types: kills insects above and below ground, including ants (excluding harvester and pharaoh ants), crickets, armyworms, cutworms, grubs, ticks and others as listed.
- kills on contact: treat when insects first appear or when you notice lawn damage.
- controls grubs: apply when insects and grubs are active in the lawn and soil.
- granular formula: distribute granules uniformly around the treatment area; water in lightly immediately after application.
Spectracide, a brand from the United Industries Corporation, manufactures this brand. To increase the efficiency of this product, use a spreader. After broadcasting the granules, you should water the area lightly.
These Spectracide granules are safe for children and pets. Nevertheless, these granules are toxic to aquatic life, and consequently, using the product near water sources is prohibited. The grass dries up, leaving the whole area bug-free.
- Active for about three months
- Ideal for bugs above and under the lawn soil
- Has chemicals
- You have to buy a spreader separately
- Toxic to aquatic life
- large-scale pest protection. large-scale results
- kills over 30 listed pests
- use on lawns, ornamentals and around homes
- for use on vegetables
- kills ticks, fleas, worms, ants, and several other pests
These bug killer granules are efficient in controlling over 30 types of insects, including ants, ticks and fleas. Although the product is safe, you should keep kids and pets from coming into direct contact with it. On the other hand, Sevin granules are toxic to aquatic life.
The effects of this product are systemic, and hence, you may have to wait for a while before you can notice the bugs disappearing. Besides, reapplying the granules is advisable in case bugs are still evident in your lawn.
- Safe for children and pets after the grass is dry
- Active for about three months
- Ideal for large lawns
- Harmful to fish and other water creatures.
Bug killer granules have a porous organic material which contains an insecticide. When exposed to water, the granules release the insecticide. After applying the granules, you can make them wet by running a water horse over your lawn or using water sprinklers. You can also opt to wait for the rain. The granules release the insecticide at a given rate rendering them active for a long time.
Why Granules Lather Than Spray?
Unlike with sprays where mixing is required, bug killer granules come packaged ready to apply on your lawn. They are easy to use –all you need is a broadcast spreader set to the correct reading. Besides, they are safer since they prevent the risks that come with spraying insecticides. With the granules, you are most unlikely to inhale the poisonous chemicals. Nevertheless, you’ll need to use protective gloves.
There are some considerations to put into place when making your pick on the best bug killer granules. Let’s dive into the factors to consider:
Lawn owners can attest that no insecticide is 100% safe, not even the organic bug control granules. Considering their hazardous nature, you must follow all the instructions that come with the package: this enhances safety.
To ensure that the bug killer granules are most effective. You must apply them over the whole lawn area. You can evenly distribute the granules throughout your lawn by using a broadcast spreader or a seed spreader. Most people make the mistake of applying the granular bug killer on individual lawn sections where the bugs are concentrated. Partial application is ineffective because bugs relocate while the population of those in unsprayed areas continue to surge.
Like with any other insecticide, granular bug killers contain chemicals. You’ll need the correct equipment for safe and easy application. With a spreader and protective clothing like gloves, you are good to go.
4. Environmental Effects
Lawn owners are taking into consideration ecological and environmental factors. When picking the ideal bug killer granules for your lawn, consider its effect on:
- Birds, pollinating bees and worms – does the insecticide kill them
- Water sources – is it safe to use the insecticide near drinking water.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the bug killer granules work on bugs only without having any side effects on your lawn. Nevertheless, using excessive amounts of insecticide may affect the grass. Moreover, applying the product without following all the instructions may have negative results on your lawn.
Most insects and bugs take habit in the underground, making it hard for you to spot an infestation. The University of Florida details ways with which lawn owners can spot different types of lawn infestations. To spot bug infestations in a lawn:
1. Regularly monitor your lawn to check for unusual patches or holes in the ground. In case you identify any of those, dig out a small portion of the soil. Check for larvae of bugs, if any, your lawn is infested.
2. Cut about 5 square sections of grass, each measuring 30 by 30 cm. For each square, dig through the soil and check for larvae. Spotting about ten grubs per square section confirms an infestation in your lawn.
Like with any other insecticide, there is no specific time given. Nevertheless, you should note the weather forecast and ensure no excess wind or rain to wash away the granules. Besides, applying the bug killer granules in early mornings or late evenings is recommended to prevent children and pets from coming into contact with the product.
Many advantages come with granular insecticides. Firstly, granular insecticides come packaged ready for use – unlike the liquid spray form where you have to dilute the product. Secondly, the granules are easy to apply since you can even use your hands. You will, however, need to use protective gloves and a face mask.
While organic granules take long to be effective, they are environmentally friendly. On the other hand, chemical granules kill bugs faster and leave your lawn bug-free in a short while. Although both types of granules are efficient, the choice of preference depends on your specific considerations.