Every homeowner desire to have that beautiful, lush, and green lawn. However, this may only remain a desire if nuisance weeds such as clover and creeping Charlie invade your beautiful lawn and transitions it into a nightmare.
5 Best-Selling Clover Weed Killer for Lawns
Table of Contents
- 1. Ortho Weed Killer For Lawns
- 2. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder
- 3. Spectracide Lawn Weed Killer
- 4. Bioadvanced 100532514 Weed & Feed Crabgrass Killer
- 5. Preen 2464089 Lawn Weed Control
- Buying Guide
- What is Causing Clover in My Lawn?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Therefore you will need effective and tough weed killers that can kill the clover and other weeds without damaging the lawn you’ve spent sweat and effort to grow. Here is a review of the best clover weed killer for lawns.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Clover Weed Killer for Lawns
- kills creeping charlie (ground ivy) and wild violet
- kills weeds to the roots
- won’t harm the lawn – guaranteed (when used as directed.)
- rainproof in 6 hours
- treats 3,200 sq. ft
Clover is one of the invasive weeds you are likely to find in your lawn. It is known to be an aggressive weed hence the need to eliminate it completely. Ortho Weed Killer for Lawns is just the weed killer you need as it is designed to kill clover, creeping Charlie, and other tough weeds.
One great thing about this weed killer is that it’s safe to use as it kills the nasty weeds without harming your lawn.
With Ortho Weed Killer for Lawns, you don’t have to worry about it being washed away by the rain since it can protect itself from water. It can rainproof for 6 hours.
The weed killer in the bottle is enough to cover 3,200 sq. ft of your lawn.
The best time to use this weed killer is when the weed is actively growing.
- It kills a wide range of weeds
- It’s safe to use –does not harm lawn
- Rainproof for 6 hours
- It may not be effective if not used as directed.
- fertilizes in 24 hours while controlling for weeds
- kills dandelions, clover and other major lawn weeds
- other weeds include buckhorn, chickweed, ground ivy, henbit, knotweed, lambsquarters, oxalis, pigweed, plantain, poison ivy, ragweed, and spurge
- easy to use, simply attach hose and spray
- spray when weeds are actively growing
The incredible thing about this weed killer is that it fertilizes your lawn while still controlling weeds such as clover, ground ivy, dandelion, and other broadleaf weeds.
It is also easy to use as it comes in a ready to use bottle. You only need to shake it well, connect the bottle to your hose, and spray.
Its quick action on weeds is undeniably something to die for. It knocks out weed within a short time and accelerates the health of your lawn.
For best results, it’s recommended to spray the weed killer on actively-growing weeds.
- It fertilizes your lawn
- Easy to use
- Best on actively-growing weeds
- Controls weed quickly
- It’s affordable
- For tough weed, you may need to repeat the application in 3-4 weeks.
- kills 470+ weed types as listed: this product kills broadleaf and grassy weeds, including dandelion, chickweed and clover as well as crabgrass and yellow nutsedge — see product label for complete list of weed types
- visible results in 5 hours: the product kills by contact and kills weed roots, producing visible results in 5 hours
- kills listed weeds, not the lawn: spectracide weed stop for lawns plus crabgrass killer3 kills weeds including crabgrass — not the lawn, when used as directed
- when to use: for best results, apply between 45°f-90°f
The most outstanding feature about this product is its ability to kill more than 470 weed types. It kills both broadleaf and grassy weeds such as crabgrass, clover, dandelion, and chickweed.
When it comes to results, the product is fast. The effects are visible within 5 hours upon application.
The herbicide is designed with the safety of your lawn in mind. It does not damage your lawn if used as per instructions. It is tough on weeds and gentle on your lawn.
To get the best results from Spectracide Lawn Weed Killer, apply it between 45°F-90°F. Higher temperatures may injure the lawn.
Its only downside is that it’s not safe to apply to bermudagrass when the temperatures are above 90°F.
- It kills 470+ weeds species
- Fast weed control
- It is safe-doesn’t damage the lawn or other plants.
- Effective if applied between 45°F-90°F
- May damage bermudagrass if temps exceed 90°F
- all-in-one formula: now, a weed and feed that also kills crabgrass
- weed killer: kills listed broadleaf lawn weeds including dandelion, clover, chickweed, and more. plus kills crabgrass and other grassy weeds
- lawn fertilizer: feeds, greens, and strengthens your lawn
- micro-feed action: micro-feed action improves nutrient uptake during and between feedings to fortify roots and increase resistance to heat and drought
- coverage area: treats up to 10,000 square feet
If you are looking for a herbicide that will not only control the weed in your lawn but also nourish it, getting bioAdvanced 100532514 Weed & Feed Crabgrass Killer is the way to go. It kills the weed while strengthening your lawn.
One feature that makes this herbicide stand out from the rest is its Micro-feed action. It enhances nutrient uptake and increases drought and heat resistance.
The product is designed to kill over 200 grassy and broadleaf weeds, including clover, Spotted Spurge Dandelion, Chickweed, and many other weed types.
Its only limitation is that it may not be suitable for other turf types other than Kentucky bluegrass bermudagrass, seashore paspalum, fescue, buffalo grass, zoysiagrass, and ryegrass.
- It kills weed while feeding the grass
- It kills over 200 weed types
- Improves nutrient uptake
- Only suitable for specified turf types
- It’s pricey
- controls dandelions and 200 other broadleaf weeds in lawns (as listed)
- will not burn lawn, no fertilizer included - lawn weed control only
- kills weeds for a beautiful lawn
- apply granules to wet lawn, water in after 48-72 hrs.
- do not use on st augustinegrass in florida, or on dichondra and carpetgrass as serious lawn injury will result
Preen 2464089 Lawn Weed Control can kill more than 200 broadleaf weed types that grow in home lawns. It will kill the tough weed and won’t burn your grass.
It is also easy to use. The best time to apply this weed killer is when the lawn is wet or damp. For it to be effective on the weeds, water the lawn 48-72 hrs after application
It is not safe to use on carpetgrass, dichondra, and st. Augustinegrass in Florida as the product may damage them.
This herbicide kills the root and is adequate to cover approximately 5,000sq.ft of your lawn.
- Kills 200+ broadleaf including dandelions
- Easy to apply the granules
- It kills the weed roots
- It may harm certain turf types like St. Augustine grass
Here are some of the things you should consider when buying a clover weed killer for your lawn.
1. Type of Lawn
Different herbicides are designed for different lawns. It is essential to understand your lawn type and which weed killer will work best without harming it. Some herbicides may damage your lawn if they are not designed for your lawn type. For instance, some herbicides may injure st. Augustinegrass hence the need to get the weed killer that is friendly and gentle to it.
Herbicides are designed to kill weeds. Some of these herbicides may not be safe for people and pets. If they get in contact with the eyes or even skin, they are likely to cause irritation. When handling toxic herbicides, it’s recommended to use gloves or clean hands as soon as you are done spraying. Chemicals should also be kept away from young ones since ingestion may cause health complications.
It is worth noting that some herbicides are selective while others are non-selective. Non-selective herbicides will kill plants they come into contact with. It is almost impossible to use this kind of weed killer without damaging your lawn.
When buying weed killers, it’s crucial to choose those that are selective. A selective weed killer should be able to select the clover from the grass. It should only kill the weed without harming the grass.
4. Waterproofing Capabilities
If you worry about rain washing away the clover weeds killer soon upon application, worry less because now you can get waterproof clover herbicides. It is worth noting that not all waterproof herbicides will last the same duration. Some are designed to waterproof only for a few hours, while others can last for several days. Choose the one that best suits your lawn.
When dealing with clover, having the right weed killer can make a whole lot of difference. It will save you time, effort, and you won’t have to risk damaging your lawn. Give your lawn what it needs and get rid of the nuisance clovers that deprive your lawn of its nourishments and space.
What is Causing Clover in My Lawn?
There are multiple reason why clover os sprouting in your lawn and here some of the reason why:
1. Wrong Soil pH
The ideal soil pH; how acidic the soil must be approximately between 6.0 to 7.0. When your lawn is too acidic it will be harder for you to grow grass in your lawn but much easier to grow clover. Lucky for you that you can fix this problem quickly by just using soil amendments like lime to balance your lawn soil pH.
2. Poor Nitrogen Levels
Clover will most likely be grown on soils that have poor nitrogen levels. Grass needs nitrogen to grow full and well, while on the other hand, clover can obtain nitrogen it needs from the air, effectively makes it its own fertilizers. Your soil nitrogen might be low because you have put too much fast-acting fertilizer. We know that fast-acting fertilizers can rapid grass growth but putting too much can lower your soil quality. To avoid this to happen, it is best to organic fertilizers like cornmeal or manure.
3. Compacted Soil
When your lawn soil is compacted, it prevents your grass from getting all the nutrients such as nitrogen (air), and water it needs to survive. To solve this problem, you can break up soil compaction with a spike aerator or with a core.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best time to spray herbicides is when the temperatures are between 45°F-90°F. Spraying when the temperatures are above 90°F may injure your grass.
If you are looking for a product that will not harm your grass, getting a selective herbicide is the way to go. Selective herbicides are tough on clovers while being tender on grass.
Most weed will die within 24-78 hours after spraying. Within this time, most of the herbicide has already evaporated. It does not remain in the soil for long.
Hand-pulling can be effective if you are doing it on a small lawn, but this may be tiring and daunting when it comes to a large lawn. Spraying herbicide is more effective as it will kill the weed fast while saving your time.