The perfect grass you want to have in your lawn will not grow out of magic. You have to put some extra effort. Proper watering is one of the ways to achieve a healthy and appealing lawn. A lawn needs to be watered frequently to grow healthily. Watering large lawns can be very exhausting if you do not have a proper watering system. An inadequately watered lawn is highly susceptible to invasion by weeds, pests, and parasites.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Above Ground Lawn Sprinkler
1. Type of Your Home Water Supply System
Some types of lawn sprinklers will require a lot of water than others. Check your home water pressure to determine the most appropriate sprinkler to install. Some areas have water usage restrictions. It is important to research if such restrictions apply in your area to avoid getting into problems with the authority.
5 Best-Selling Lawn Sprinklers
2. Your budget
Lawn sprinklers come at different prices. Some sprinklers are more expensive than others. Buy a sprinkler that will not strain you financially, as long as it serves the intended purpose. Weigh your budget and get a system that will fit your budget.
3. The capacity of the system
The system should meet the water requirements of your lawn. You do not want to have a system that waters some parts of the lawn and leaves some unwatered.
4. The length of your lawn
A more extensive lawn may require more sprinklers than a smaller one. Still, you may opt to go for a sprinkler that disperses water at a wider range, instead of using several sprinklers. Just make sure all the areas of the lawn are receiving adequate water.
5. What Does A Sprinkler Include?
- Pumping unit- the pumping unit is like the heart of the system. The pump drives water from its source and applies enough pressure to be dispersed by the sprinklers.
- Control head-it controls the flow of water in the system.
- Accessories-these include valves, risers, and couplers
- Emitters- emitters distribute water to the lawn
6. Types of Lawn Sprinklers
Sprinklers come in different types. Some of the common ones include:
7. Fixed Sprinklers
Fixed sprinklers are usually connected to a hose, and require to be moved if the lawn is large and the sprinkler cannot cover the whole of it at once. These are best for small lawns.
8. Oscillating Sprinklers
Oscillating sprinklers have several openings that allow them to disperse water to larger areas than fixed sprinklers. You can adjust the area to be watered using selectors on the sprinklers.
9. Rotating Sprinklers
A rotating sprinkler has two or more arms that disperse water at 360 degrees. It distributes water to wide ranges and is ideal for large lawns.
5 Best-Selling Rotating Sprinklers
10. How to Install the Sprinklers
- Have a plan. Before setting up the lawn sprinkler, have some form of plan. You will need to consult your building department to check whether there are certain restrictions concerning the installation of lawn sprinklers. You can measure the water pressure in your home water supply using a water pressure gauge.
- Connect one end of a garden hose to the water supply system through a faucet and the other to the sprinkler.
- Position the sprinklers. Connect a hose to every sprinkler. Hoses are available in different colors. You can get a dull-colored one if you prefer it to be invisible. You can have more than one sprinkler if your lawn is large. Position them strategically so that the entire lawn will receive water uniformly.
- Install timers. Buy a timer and hook it to the faucet, then connect it to the sprinkler. Set the period after how long it should go off, for example, after 30 minutes or 2 hours. Make sure you follow the instructions on the timer. Different timers are operated differently.
- Flush the system. Turn on the water to the system. Open the valves manually to flush the system and then close them. Do this to all the valves.
- Test the system. Put on water to determine whether the system is dispersing water appropriately. If not, you can change the position of the sprinklers.
5 Best-Selling Garden Hose
11. Sprinklers Maintenance Tips
There are several maintenance tips to practice for the sprinklers to operate effectively. These include
12. Remove Debris
Check out for debris or any other materials that may cause blockage in the sprinkler heads and affect water dispersal. Check for blockages in the hoses too and unblock them. Ununiformed water dispersal may lead to some of the areas receiving too much water while others get little or no water.
13. Inspect the Valves
The valves are essential elements of a sprinkler, as they regulate water dispersal. If a valve is faulty, it may cause water leakage, which leads to wastage. You only have to inspect them visually and determine whether they are working efficiently
14. Always Check the Water Pressure
Use a water gauge to measure the water pressure frequently. If the pressure is excessively high, it may damage the sprinkler heads and valves. If the pressure is very high or very low, you may need to purchase a pressure regulator to prevent damage to your system.
15. Check the Timer Frequently
Always check the timer and set the dates and times correctly. Wipe dust and other materials that might have gathered on it. Ensure the settings meet the water needs for your garden.
16. The Benefits of a Sprinkler System
A sprinkler system has several benefits than other watering methods. These include:
17. It Can Be Automated
If you install automated sprinklers, you will not have to worry about overwatering or under watering your lawn. Still, you do not have to be around to put on the water. This ensures that your lawn remains flush, even in your absence.
The sprinklers also ensure that there is no water wastage as compared to manual watering. This is a sure way to save on water bills.
18. It Increases the Home Value
A home with a working irrigation system will fetch high sale prices. If you plan to resell your home, installing an above-ground sprinkler is an excellent way to get maximum returns.
19. Improves the Aesthetic Appearance of Your Space
A well-watered lawn is always appealing. It makes any space appealing and inviting.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. as long as you adjust the settings correctly by ensuring that your lawn is not overwatered, an automatic sprinkler will save a lot of water. You donâ€™t have to worry about forgetting to turn off the water.
The cost of a sprinkler system will depend on various factors such as the size of your property, and the type of system you want. Sprinklers come in different types. Some are more expensive than others. When buying one, it is crucial to have a budget range and look for the system that will perfectly fit in your in it.
It is not difficult. Many sprinklers will come with a user manual to guide you on how to operate them. Automated sprinklers are even easier to use since you donâ€™t have to assemble or disassemble any parts when you want to irrigate your lawn.
An above-ground sprinkler system will not cause damages to your lawn since you donâ€™t have to dig the ground to lay pipes.