Do you feel like your garden is too thick weeded to trim with a lawnmower or think the weeded area is too large for a handheld string trimmer? What you need is a walk-behind trimmer.
Walk-Behind String Trimmers are rugged string trimmer heads that are attached to a walk-behind frame. They have two large wheels fixed at each side of the frame to help you quickly move over rough terrains. They are perfect for overgrown lots and crowded fields of weeds.
5 Best-Selling Walk-Behind String Trimmers
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Walk-Behind String Trimmers
Finding the best deals for walk-behind string trimmers can be a complicated process. Outlined below are some of the best string trimmers in the business.
- 159cc ohv gas engine: powerful 4-cycle gas engine helps you clear the tallest, toughest grass and weeds. battle tested and battle ready to get the job done effectively and efficiently.
- 22-inch cutting swath: unique shape makes trimming around fences, garden beds, and other landscaping borders easier cutting bigger jobs down to size. those hard-to-reach places just became easy-to-reach.
- user friendly: off-set trimmer head feature helps to trim hard-to-reach places while the 14-inch ball-bearing wheels help you move easily through rough terrain. maintain the command and control needed during operation.
- comfort folding handle: equipped with a comfort folding handle for convenient storage and transportation.
- trimmer line: standard 0.155” diameter.
The Remington 22-Inch 159cc Walk Behind String Trimmer is one of the best products available in the market. It features a very powerful 159cc engine that makes it a very effective tall grass cutting tool. It also features a 22-inch cut swath that will cover a lot more ground than a regular handheld trimmer.
- Has an off-set trimmer that will allow you easily trim along the side of a fence without the wheels getting in the way
- A folding handle that makes it an excellent choice for those with limited storage
- 4cycle engine that aids durability with internal lubrication
- cutting height is adjustable from 1.6 in. to 3.04 in.
- with a cutting width of 22 in., large trim jobs get done in less time
- fixed line advance uses standard 0.155 diameter trimmer line
- easy rolling high rear wheels for added maneuverability on any terrain
- designed to cut tall grass and small brush; powered by a dependable briggs & stratton 625 series engine,
Just like the Remington 159cc, this walk-behind string trimmer also features a .22-inch cutting width. However, what may be the most fascinating thing about this product is the fact that it has an adjustable trim height. It can be set from anywhere between 1.6” to 3.04”, giving you a wide range of trimming options.
- Easy-rolling wheels that require less force than usual
- An adjustable trim height that gives multiple trim options
- Its trimming line can easily be changed when faulty
- heavy duty 5.75 ft./lbs torque, 150 cc engine
- manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- quad 0.155" diameter line trimmer head
- 12" wheels for increased maneuverability
- folding anti-vibration foam grip handle for comfort and compact storage
This product is well known for its durability. Like most of the other walk-behind string trimmers mentioned here, it comes with a 22” cutting swath. It is also well-suited for the roughest of terrains.
- Comes with 12” wheels making it great for rough terrains
- A foam grip handle that reduces the vibrations
- 22” cutting swath that covers more ground
- 12" rear wheels for easy maneuverability.
- easy adjust rim height from 1.6 to 3 inches.cylinder displacement 11.6 cu.inch
- 22" cutting width
- handle type : flat
This is one of the most expensive walk-behind trimmers. However, it gives incredible value for its price. Take a look at some of its key features.
- Adjustable trimmer line that gives a wide range of cutting options
- Big 12” wheels that make it suitable for the roughest terrain possible
- Quick start immediately after the first pull
- the southland wheeled string trimmer features a 20° - 30° trimmer head swivel to trim along a wall or fence in a straight line.
- it also has a 5° - 10° trimmer head bevel feature for precise edge trimming along an obstacle
- this wheeled string trimmer provides over 35% more torque vs. a typical 25cc hand held string trimmer
- multi-streaming trimmer head accepts 0. 095 in. and 0. 105 in. trimmer string - you choose the string that is right for your task.
- the onboard trimmer string storage keeps your extra string handy at all times. epa and carb compliant
This product has a 17” swat but is a decent product all in all. Impressively, it gives users 30 degrees of swivel left and right. This allows users to approach fences from a comfortable angle.
- Very Versatile as it accepts multiple string lines (0.095”, .105 and 0.1055”).
- Onboard string storage that can easily be swapped out
- It has an adjustable head
Knowing the best Walk-Behind String Trimmers in the industry may not be enough. At this point, you may be thinking hard about the features that you want your trimmer to have. This buying guide highlights the bulk of the things you need to consider before making a purchase decision. Take a cursory look at some of them below.
This is perhaps the most essential feature of a String Trimmer, whether it is handheld or a walk-behind trimmer. Generally, there are two types of string trimmer engines; 2-stroke and 4-stroke. There is the erroneous belief that 4-stroke engines are more durable than 2-strokes. This is a huge misconception. The amount of strokes an engine has does not dictate how powerful it will be. Instead, it determines how oil lubricates the engine.
2-stroke Engines require a 50:1 gas to oil mix poured through a single gas valve. With the 4-stroke engine, Gas and oil are poured in separate valves. 4 stroke engines tend to last a lot longer than 2-stroke engines. The reason is that they use two extra strokes to lubricate its moving parts.
However, the 2-stroke engine can be a great choice if you are looking for a lightweight, low maintenance, low vibration engine option.
Another thing that should be considered is the wheel type of your walk behind the string trimmer. The rule for this is simple: The bigger the wheel, the better they move on rough terrains. It is important to note, however, that while large wheels make tasks easier, they are not that important when it comes to easy terrains.
Most wheel behind tires are not the commonly found rubber inflatable tires. This is because, with a string trimmer, smooth-riding is not that important. This is why they mostly use never-flat tires that do not use air in their design. They are more or less thin rubber outer rims on top of a plastic hub.
Other things you should look out for include:
3. Cutting Swath Size
Keep in mind that the larger the cutting swath, the better. (i.e. 22” > 17”)
4. Trimmer Line Replacement
The trimmer line is that piece of wire that does all the cutting. Not all walk behind string trimmer heads make it easy for you to replace a broken trimmer line. You may have to consider this when purchasing a walk-behind string trimmer.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. The reason is that there are so many different sizes. Some walk-behind string trimmers use a wide range of string sizes. Others do not. The safest option is to go for the former.
It depends on what you want. If you prefer a lightweight, low maintenance, low vibration engine option, the 2-stroke is for you. If you are concerned about the longevity of your machine, the 4-stroke is recommended.
For the most part, the noise level depends on the engine type. Since most wheel-behind string trimmers use gas-fueled engines, you should expect some noise.
It depends on the terrain you want to clear. The bigger the tire, the easier it is to clear terrains.
No, both of them serve different purposes. A lawn mower is used to cut off most of the grass. However, the string trimmer is used to reduce what is leftover from using the lawnmower.
Walk-behind string trimmers are manufactured to tackle stubborn lawn issues. Like has been mentioned before, they are especially useful for cleaning up the edges after you have used your lawnmower. The best string trimmers allow you to clean up terrains and lawns without any hassle.