In the recent past, rooftop gardens have significantly flourished. This is especially true in cities and towns where getting enough space is a challenge. With these gardens, you don’t even require a large space to start one. You just need planter boxes to convert any unused space to one of the best gardens. So if you are planning to start rooftop gardening here are some of the best planters that you can start with.
5 Best-Selling Rooftop Garden Planter Boxes
Table of Contents
- 1. Mayne 5825W Fairfiled Patio Planter
- 2. Gronomics RPB 18-48 Rustic Planter Box
- 3. City Farmer Raised Garden Bed with Elevated Planter Box
- 4. Victory 8 Cube Garden Square Planter
- 5. GlowPear Urban Garden Self Watering Plants
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Rooftop Garden Planter Boxes
1. Mayne 5825W Fairfiled Patio Planter
Mayne 5825W 5825W Fairfield ( Planter, 20-Inch, White)
- durable planters: we use 100% high-grade polyethylene resin in the manufacturing process - making our products durable, lightweight and highly shock resistant
- four season use: these square planters can be used outdoors year-round, as they are resistant to high-impact, chemicals and extreme weather conditions - it stands true to its 'four-season use' tag with very little winter preparation
- long lasting quality: the resin used to create our products contains built-in uv inhibitors that reduce the damaging effects of the sun - this ensures that your product doesn't fade, preserves its color and increases its overall lifespan
- innovative design: double-wall design makes these planters sturdy, and provides the roots and potting mix with adequate insulation from surrounding weather conditions - it can be filled with sand or gravel to provide your planter with added stability
- features a water reservoir: this fairfield planter comes with a built-in water reservoir that provides your plants with a consistent source of moisture and allows you to water your plants less often
If you are looking for one of the most attractive rooftop garden planter boxes this is the best. Because it does not require any assembling, it’s quite easy to use. Simple yet elegant, this is a beautiful garden planter box that has all the features that you need in a rooftop garden.
If you buy these boxes one thing is for sure, you’ll love them. Apart from their beautiful design, they are also light and quite easy to clean. Since they have a double-wall design they also keep water so well. Made of 100% high-grade polyethylene you can expect them to last long. They also come with a 5-year warranty so in case of anything you can get a replacement
2. Gronomics RPB 18-48 Rustic Planter Box
Gronomics RPB 18 ( Planter Box, Unfinished)
- tool-free assembly
- handcrafted in the u.s.a.
- constructed from 100-percent western red cedar
- rough sawn rustic look; 9-inch in depth
- slides together in minutes
Whether you are planning to have a rooftop garden or practice outdoor planting this nice roomy planter is the best option. Easy to assemble, you don’t need to have any skills to start using it. In fact, once you go through all the instructions you will be able to assemble it within minutes. Coming with no bolts, nails, or screws you don’t need any tools to assemble it.
To install it you just need to check the different pieces, fit them and you are good to go. Once done you can fill it with soil and start your gardening. Constructed using 100 percent western red cedar, these rooftop garden planter boxes are quite stable. Although they are pricey they are made so well that you’ll get value for your money.
3. City Farmer Raised Garden Bed with Elevated Planter Box
City Farmer USA Raised ( Gardening - Grow Vegetables, Herbs, & Flowers)
- built to last: constructed with light-weight, but heavy-duty materials, these raised garden beds are made of safe, non-toxic, anti uv and impact resistant hdpe plastic. compared to wooden or metal raised garden beds, these containers are unmatched in withstanding the elements, they do not crack, rust or warp, and absolutely no chemicals will leach into your harvest.
- international patented design: the patented mesh side ventilation design promotes a healthy and thriving root system, and the patented base helps retain water and nutrients for faster growing and healthier organic vegetables and herbs.
- comfortable raised design: these elevated garden planter boxes with legs are 27" above the ground for easier planting and gardening, without having to bend over and stress your back and knees. raised garden boxes help keep animals and pets away from your vegetables and herbs.
- perfect size for outdoor urban spaces: measuring l36” x w24” x h27” and 7” in depth, these containers can hold up 2 cubic feet of soil and are a perfect fit for urban backyards, rooftops, balconies and patios. compared to other competitors, these are lightweight garden beds but very sturdy once filled with soil, so they’re easy to move around from one place to another.
- easy & quick to assemble: it takes less than 15 minutes to set up and comes with a 12 month warranty. it includes fabric lined side panels to help maintain soil retention and plastic seam covers to help retain water.
Made of anti UV, antitoxic, and impact materials these garden planter boxes are worth considering. To make them easy to assemble they come with few parts and have plastic covers that will help them retain water well. The good thing about them is that whether you want to use them on your patio, balcony, or backyard they’ll comfortably fit.
Unlike others, they have mesh side ventilation to boost healthy root growth. To allow you to plant without hurting your back they are raised above the ground. If you want to practice urban gardening they are probably the best products to use.
4. Victory 8 Cube Garden Square Planter
Victory 8 CuBes are rooftop garden planter boxes that hold their shape quite well. As some of the best planters, these boxes do not require any sort of assembly. Once you buy them you can embark on using them immediately. This means if you are looking for the best garden yield then these boxes are a must use.
As opposed to traditional gardens, they require less gardening. This makes them perfect for backyards, rooftops, and houses with small spaces. Whether you want to plant flowers, vegetables, fresh herbs, or fruits they are the best. Further, you can also move them from one place to another whenever you want.
5. GlowPear Urban Garden Self Watering Plants
Glowpear SelfWatering Urban Garden ( Water Gauge For Home Deck Kitchen Gardening)
- plants take what water they need when they need it due to the integrated self-watering system. just top up the reservoir and your plants self-water. it’s so simple!
- see what water is needed at a glance with the water level indicator.
- no spills even when used indoors. the clip-on drip tray takes all the worry out of indoor use.
- no bending required with ideal growing conditions: pick, prune and water your garden easily due to the raised design with generous 11” soil depth and 16 gal volume to optimize growing; flowers i.e. violas, pansies and daffodils; fruit i.e. tomatoes; vegetables i.e. beans, lettuce and radish; and herbs i.e. basil, thyme and coriander.
- sturdy, safe and scalable. the urban garden is made of injection-moulded hdpe, uv and corrosion resistant, bpa-free, and food-safe. glowpear units can be ‘plugged in’ to each other, for easy, integrated watering and increased growing space.
If you want to be self-sufficient and grow your own plants these are the best rooftop garden planters to use. Generally deep and large they are designed to offer the best conditions for growing herbs, fruit and vegetables. Instead of watering your plants every time, you just need to top up the reservoir and leave the plants to self water.
Whether you intend to use them indoors or outdoors they are quite ideal. More so they are made using UV/Corrosion resistant and food-safe material that cannot cause any arm. With their height, you can prune, pick and even water your garden without bending. The best part is that once you fill the reservoir there are no leaks.
With so many rooftop garden planter boxes in the market, choosing the best one can be a challenge. Here are some of the tips that can help you choose one.
This is the first question that you need to ask yourself when looking for the best container. Since you will be using the boxes on top of the roof it should be designed in such a way that it is easy to water. It should also have features that can help it retain water so that you don’t have to water it frequently.
The volume and shape of the box are some of the things that will determine whether your rooftop garden planter boxes are stable or not. Although square boxes are the most stable you may also choose containers with a broader base so as to reduce the chances of overturning.
Just like a regular garden you also need to maintain your rooftop garden for your plant or flowers to flourish. You, therefore, need to ask yourself whether the box is easy to manage and maintain or not. More so, if you are planning to be away for long you need to choose a self-watering planter box. This will ensure that your plants are not deprived of water while you are away.
If you need to move your planter boxes once in a while then it’s important to choose portable ones. This is because if you buy cumbersome or heavy rooftop garden planters you may have a hard time moving them.
Depending on your style you also need to consider the looks. Make sure you choose something that is appealing and attractive.
Look for sturdy materials
If you are looking for something that can last longer, choose planters made of sturdy materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
The easiest way to put a garden on your rooftop is to use garden planter boxes. Depending on what you intend to grow you can then choose the most suitable boxes for your needs.
Rooftop garden planters boxes are not only the best way to use unused and underused space but are also environmentally friendly. These boxes will also provide your plants with the best sun exposure
Rooftop gardening is one of the best ways of cooling your home since the plants will provide the shed that will increase precipitation and reduce heat flow. This will then end up improving the quality of air and temperature inside the house.
Examples of plants include flowers, coneflowers, false indigo, butterfly weeds, vegetables and stonecrops among other plants.
Although there are so many ways to go about this the best thing to do is to look for garden planter boxes. Instead of the normal garden soil, use potting soil.
Using rooftop garden planter boxes is a very good way to make the most of your rooftop. Apart from all the benefits that you will derive from the plants, it’s also an eco-friendly way to grow your plants. If you are interested in practicing rooftop gardening, you can start with the above boxes.