A healthy, lush, thick green lawn is an absolute beauty to the eye. It makes everything around it look beautiful and tranquil and becomes a favorite spot where you can spend time with your loved ones.
5 Best-Selling Eco-friendly Lawn Fertilizer
Table of Contents
- 1. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Weed Control Fertilizer
- 2. Safer Brand 9334 Lawn Restore Fertilizer
- 3. Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer
- 4. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food
- 5. Espoma EOLB30 Organic Lawn Booster Fertilizer
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
However, to maintain this beauty and charm, you will need to feed it with the right fertilizer. If you care about the environment, it is with no doubt that you prefer to use eco-friendly fertilizers. Here is a review of the best eco-friendly lawn fertilizers.
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Eco-friendly Lawn Fertilizer
- fertilizes in 24 hours while controlling for weeds
- kills dandelions, clover and other major lawn weeds
- other weeds include buckhorn, chickweed, ground ivy, henbit, knotweed, lambsquarters, oxalis, pigweed, plantain, poison ivy, ragweed, and spurge
- easy to use, simply attach hose and spray
- spray when weeds are actively growing
The most incredible thing about Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Weed Control Fertilizer is its ability to fertilize plants in 24 hours. After just one application, your lawn starts to enjoy the essential nutrients present in this fertilizer.
Interestingly, with this fertilizer, you will be beating two birds with one stone since it does not only fertilize but also kills those annoying weeds invading your lawn, such as dandelion, clover, and other broadleaf weeds.
It is also easy to use since it comes in a ready-to-spray bottle where you only need to shake well, connect the hose and spray to nourish your lawn.
- Fertilizes while controlling weeds
- Fertilizes within 24 hours
- Easy to use
it has an NPK ratio of 25.0.2 and may cause burns due to high nitrogen content if you overspray
- revitalizes lawn to a thick turf by strengthening root systems
- lawns will green up within 3 to 5 days
- promotes a robust root system for a healthier lawn
- provides effective year-round care by helping plants withstand heat, cold and drought stresses
- covers up to 6,250 sq ft
Are you looking for a lawn fertilizer that will improve your lawn’s health and strengthen its roots? Well, Safer Brand 9334 Lawn Restore Fertilizer is what you need. It is designed to enhance lawn growth, develop strong and healthy roots and, repair and nourish thinning lawns.
The fertilizer is slow releasing, and it gives your lawn the vital nutrients it needs to grow healthier, greener, and thicker all year-round. It is also made to protect your grass from stressful conditions such as cold, heat, and drought.
A 30lbs bag of this fertilizer covers approximately 6,250sq. If your lawn is more extensive, you may need to add an extra bag to ensure all the grass gets the nutrients it needs.
Notably, the fertilizer is non-burning and safe for children and pets; it is made from natural products. Upon application, you will start to see results within 3-5 days.
Additionally, it has an NPK ratio of 9.0.2 (N-nitrogen, P- phosphorous, K-potassium) for a robust lawn.
- Strengthens the root system
- Slow releasing
- Safe to use and non-burning
- Its smell may not be so pleasant
Are you concerned about your lawn not being as green as you’d like it to be? Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer is what your lawn needs. It contains 4% iron, which is responsible for giving the grass the deep green color.
Another feature to love about this fertilizer is its versatility. The fertilizer can also be used to enhance the growth of flowers, shrubs, and trees. It also comes with personal protective gloves for maximum hands protection when applying the fertilizer.
It has a strong smell that may not be bad since it also acts as a good repellent against some animals like bunnies and deer, which seems not to like the smell.
It is also worth noting that it’s a slow-releasing fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 5.2.0.
- It contains iron good for adding color to lawns
- Slow releasing
- Meets the EPA’s quality standards
- It does not contain potassium hence not suitable for drought-prone regions
- full of essential nutrients, it instantly feeds to grow bigger, more beautiful plants versus unfed plants
- feed every 1-2 weeks
- use with the miracle-gro garden feeder or any watering can
- for all flowers, vegetables, trees, shrubs and houseplants
- safe for all plants, guaranteed not to burn when used as directed
Just like its name suggests, the fertilizer is all-purpose. It can be used for vegetables, house plants, flowers, trees, and shrubs. It is also safe for outdoor and indoor plant use.
Miracle-Gro Water Soluble, All Purpose Plant Food, contains essential nutrients that are necessary to grow a healthier and greener lawn.
Amazingly, the fertilizer is water-soluble, which makes it easy to spray either using a garden feeder or a watering can. It works instantly, and the results are visible within no time. For best results, you can feed the lawn every 1-2 weeks.
The fertilizer is also pet friendly and does not burn plants.
- Contains essential nutrients
- Easy to use
- Pet friendly
- For a healthier lawn, you may have to apply it after 1-2 weeks.
- made from feather meal, pasteurized poultry manure & gypsum
- 8-0-0 formulation 30lbs
- feeds up to 5,000 sq ft
- safe for kids and pets
- environmentally friendly
This is an organic fertilizer that is made from pasteurized poultry manure, feather meal, and gypsum. Organic fertilizers are good since they benefit both the plants and the soil.
Espoma EOLB30 Organic Lawn Booster Fertilizer does not contain chemicals, which makes it environment friendly. It also has an NPK ratio of 8-0-0, which ensures that your lawn is well fed for that healthier and greener grass.
With a 30lbs bag, you will cover approximately 5,000 sq ft. of your lawn. The fertilizer is safe for pets and kids.
- It’s beneficial to both the soil and grass
- It’s Ecofriendly
- Safe for children and pets
- May have a strong odor
Like any other plants, lawns too need to be fed regularly to grow healthier, greener, and thinker. Here are things to consider when buying eco-friendly fertilizer for your lawn.
When buying fertilizer, safety is the number one thing you need to consider. You need to ensure that the fertilizer you purchase and plan to feed your lawn is safe for the grass, pets, and children. Ensure you read the instruction label before use to make the most out of the fertilizer without harming your lawn.
There are many eco-friendly lawn fertilizers available and at different prices. This means that you can get good quality fertilizer that is effective even with a small budget. However, even as you look at the price, don’t get cheap fertilizer that may destroy your hard grown lawn. Get the fertilizer that is within your budget and also of good quality.
3. NPK ratio
The NPK ratio shows the levels of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium present in the fertilizer. The ratio is usually indicated on the packaging or leaflet of the fertilizer.
These nutrients are crucial in plants’ growth (N- helps in adding the green color, P- good for root growth, and K-protects against diseases. However, when overused, they may burn the grass; hence make sure you understand what your lawn needs and get exactly that.
Frequently Asked Questions
Eco-friendly fertilizers, also known as EFFs, are fertilizers that feed the plants’ nutrients without polluting the environment. Fertilizers become harmful to the environment when they run off to the water sources facilitating the growth of algae, which takes away oxygen from the water when they decompose.
The main aim of fertilizing lawns is to enrich them with nutrients that are essential for their growth. You can fertilize your lawn 3 times a year or more if need be.
Some fertilizers contain toxic metals that may not be safe for human consumption and can cause poisoning. They may interfere with your lungs, liver, and kidneys.
Eventually, you will see the signs of fertilizer burn, which causes the grass to have a yellowish or brown color.