Mowing is an essential lawn care tip that allows you to maintain a healthier and teeming green turf. If you use your mower regularly for commercial lawns, then its blades can become blunt over time. Besides, this could be a result of the blades wearing out. On such occasions, a commercial lawn mower blade sharpener is quite beneficial.
5 Best-Selling Commercial Lawn Mower Blade Sharpeners
Table of Contents
- 1. Oregon 88-023 Professional Lawn Mower Grinder
- 2. Magna-Matic MAG-9000 Professional Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener
- 3. Smith’s 50603 Mower Blade Sharpener
- 4. Yellow Hornet Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener
- 5. Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Commercial Lawn Mower Blade Sharpeners
- adjustable light included. this 1/2 hp, standard duty, 1750 rpm motor blade grinder will sharpen up to a 6" cutting edge.
- easy to turn rotary adjusting handle and knobs to make height adjustment fast and simple
- on/off safety switch
- reversing switch allows grinding of left- and right-hand cut blades
- grit collector model number 88-037 sold separately keeps the mess contained and out of the work area
If you are looking for a powerful lawnmower blade sharpener, this product is your best choice. With ½ HP motor, it can quickly sharpen your lawnmower blades in a short time. Besides, this lawnmower blade sharpener has a spinning speed of up to 1750 RPM.
Oregon 88-023 lawn mower blade sharpener is compatible with various blade sizes. It can sharpen even a 6-inch blade. Furthermore, you can adjust its height to meet your preference. Most importantly, this lawnmower blade sharpener comes with a reversing switch ideal for right, and left-hand lawnmower cut blades.
- Suitable for professional and commercial use
- Easy to use
- A bit costly
- made in usa
- commercial dedicated lawnmower blade sharpener for use by landscape professionals
- can sharpen conventional lawnmower blades to consistent 30 degree angles
- can sharpen both left and right-handed lawnmower blades
- all safety guards, and tools included that are required to use the sharpener
It is a Magna Matic brand, and just like all their products, it uses an electric motor. The lawnmower blade sharpener has a spinning speed of 3450 RPM. As a result, it is strong and can quickly sharpen your lawnmower blades. Furthermore, its motor has a high rating of ¾ HP. Above all, it comes with a reverse switch meaning that you can use it for sharpening both right and left-handed lawn mower blades.
- It has an inbuilt safety guard
- High spinning speed and motor rating
- It comes with a reverse direction switch
- A little costly
- Ideal for professional mowers only
- quickly sharpens dull lawnmower blade with just a few easy pulls
- durable head for easier sharpening
- oversized handle allows for use with gloves
- large safety guard; cleaning brush, with wire bristles, stores in the handle
- replaceable carbide blade; abrasive: premium carbides; grit: coarse
Smith’s 50603 lawn mower blade sharpener is a manually operated tool. As a result, it does not use a motor. Nevertheless, this manual lawnmower blade sharpener is very quick and efficient. Most notable is the fact that it has a carbide head that is incredibly sharp and durable. For this fact, you can use this tool to sharpen a lot of mower blade sharpeners without straining or inputting a lot of labor. Moreover, this mower blade sharpener has large-sized handles making it easy and comfortable to use.
- Affordable price
- Durable sharpening head
- The large handles provide comfort
- It can only work on straight blade edges
- sharpen your own blades professionally at 30 deg angle made in usa
- $149.00 free shipping
- base measurments 9" x 12"
- watch video (yellow hornet blade sharpener) on you tube for operating procedures.
The Yellow Hornet is made in the USA and can professionally sharpen your lawnmower blades at a sharpening angle of 30 degrees. It is durable and highly efficient at keeping your lawnmower blades sharp at all times. Besides, it’s a dual-purpose tool that you can use to sharpen other farm equipment.
- Affordable price
- Ideal for professional results
- Produces some vibration when sharpening
- Only suitable for specific mower blades
- sharpen every knife you own like a pro quickly, easily and with repeatable, consistent results. creates the sharpest blades you've ever had!
- easily replaceable abrasive grit belts. comes with premium abrasive belts to meet all your sharpening needs: coarse (p80), medium (p220) and fine (6000). abrasive belts won't burn or damage blade steel during sharpening.
- precision sharpening guides provide fast, easy, repeatable and consistent results. kitchen knife guide sharpens blades to a 40° angle – outdoor knife guide sharpens to a 50° angle.
- can also be used to sharpen a wide range of bladed shop tools and lawn and garden tools such as lawn mower blades, garden pruners, shears, shovels, scrapers and more. also makes the ideal hand held detail grinder
- 1-year warranty – warranty only valid for north american 110v power source applications. use of power converters for 220v not recommended. can be run with 12v power inverter (min. 150 watt) from car, truck, rv, boat, etc.
Work Sharp Knife and tool sharpener is a Work Sharp Brand product. This lawnmower blade sharpener is affordable. Although it’s primarily for sharpening knives, it can effectively act as a mower blade sharpener. Besides, you can use this tool at sharpening angles of 40-degrees and 50-degrees. Furthermore, this mower blade sharpener has a strong material and a 1-year warranty; therefore, you can expect it to be long-lasting. It is worth noting that this lawnmower blade sharpener comes with easily changeable abrasive belts.
- Easy to replace belts
- Suitable for knives and various blades
- It requires some skill and practice.
Apart from listing our top-recommended commercial lawn mower blade sharpeners, we also provide you with this comprehensive guide. You can find all the factors to consider when purchasing an ideal blade sharpener. Read on!
The most important thing to consider when purchasing a commercial lawn mower blade sharpener is whether it is compatible with the mower blades. It is worth noting that different mowers have different sized mower blades. For instance, 5 inches or 6 inches are some of the most common. Besides, the sharpening angle is also crucial. With options such as 40-degree grinders, go for a lawnmower blade sharpener that is fully compatible with your mower.
2. Spinning Speed
If you are considering purchasing an electric powered blade sharpener, you should check on your prospective commercial lawn mower blade sharpener’s spinning speed. Like with any other gardening power tools, the “rounds per minute” of the sharpener counts when determining your ideal choice. A higher RPM leads to higher efficiency and consequently sharpens the blades in a shorter period. Some of the most common RPM include 1500 RPM and 1750 RPM.
3. Power Type
There are two types of commercial lawn mower blade sharpeners available. Firstly, there is the electric-powered lawn mower blade sharpener that uses an electric motor. Secondly, there are manual lawn mower blade sharpeners that require you to use your hand effort to grind the blades. Both sharpeners come in handy with keeping your mower blades sharp and functional at all times.
Manual blade sharpeners are time-consuming, yet they have affordable prices. On the other hand, electrically powered blade sharpeners are more efficient and quicker. With both blades serving the same purpose, you can choose any of the two depending on your preference.
4. Motor Power
The powered blade sharpener comes with an electric motor that spins the grinding wheel. If you opt to buy the electric-powered commercial lawn mower blade sharpener, you must consider its motor power. Besides, most motor powers come as ¼ HP or ½ HP. In the same vein, a ½ HP motor has a higher power rating and results in advanced performance. Besides, a blade sharpener with a high-power rating can sharpen various blades in a short period.
The durability of a lawnmower blade sharpener counts while determining the ideal option to purchase. Most importantly, if you are buying the mower blade sharpener for a commercial lawn, that means that you have to use it often. Besides, using it to sharpen various mower blades causes it to wear out over time. As a result, you should get your fingers right when deciding on your lawnmower blade sharpener’s material. Furthermore, those that have warranties are more durable. If you don’t want to waste time replacing the grinding wheel every time it wears out, go for grinding wheels made of strong materials like carbide.
Although it is a fact that the higher the price, the better the product, you should be cautious on the price to quality ratio; nonetheless, always do thorough research on the cost of the commercial lawn mower blade sharpeners before you can make a purchase. This prevents you from being tricked into paying excessively high for a product.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sharp mower blades make your lawn healthy and attractive. The sharp mower blades give the grass a clean-cut, thus reducing stress and damage to your lawn. Alternatively, dull mower blades damage the topmost part of the grass instead of giving a clean-cut. The worn-out blades also rip out the grass, which negatively affects the health of your lawn.
Although there is no specific angle to use when sharpening all mower blades, it’s best if you use the manufacturer’s set angle. On the other hand, if there are no specific guidelines, you can use 30 to 45 degrees.
If you see any cracks on your lawnmower blade, it is essential to replace it.
To determine whether your lawnmower blades need sharpening, check whether the topmost part of a piece of grass is clean-cut or even. If not, the mower blades need sharpening.
Step 1: your safety comes first. As such, you should disconnect the spark plug from the mower.
Step 2: Remove the blade from the mower. Nevertheless, you can sharpen some blades without having to remove them from the mower. This choice entirely depends on the mower type and the sharpener you have.
Step 3: Put on gloves and safety goggles, then sharpen the mower blades.
Step 4: Connect the blade to the lawnmower or ensure you tighten the bolts.
If you are looking for the most powerful option, it is worth trying the Magna-Matic MAG-9000 Professional Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener. With a high-power rating of ¾ HP and a high 3450 RPM spinning speed, it’s the ideal tool. Besides, if you are looking for the most affordable option, we recommend Smith’s 50603 Mower Blade Sharpener. Even though it’s a manual tool, you’ll be surprised at its incredible performance.