Sowing the seeds of the vegetables that you want to have in your garden or backyard farm is just the beginning of the entire gardening process. The next part is mainly about maintenance, and it involves making sure that your plants get enough water, sunlight, and of course, nutrients.
Soil, by nature, has nutrients, however, its natural nutrient content may not be sufficient to sustain a plant. Moreover, the different kinds of plants or vegetables that you are growing have different nutrient requirements. Thus, you must provide the right amount and the right kind of nutrients now and then.
There are many types of fertilizers for vegetable gardens available in the market, and it’s essential that you know which ones work best and which ones are most suitable for the vegetables that you are growing.
5 Best-Selling Fertilizers for Vegetable Garden
Table of Contents
- 1. Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer
- 2. Osmocote 274850 Smart-Release Plant Food Plus
- 3. Jobe’s Organics 9026 Fertilizer
- 4. Dr. Earth 708P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer
- 5. Botanicare HGC732110 Cal-Mag Plus Plant Supplement
- 6. Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer Spikes
- 7. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed Tomato, Fruit & Vegetable Plant Food
Reviews of 7 Top Rated Fertilizers for Vegetable Garden
- organic fertilizer - pure earthworm castings
- excellent for houseplants, vegetables, flowers and more
- non-toxic and odor free
- just a handful will make your plants happy
We all know that worms are decomposers, which means that they break down organic matter. The end product of this process is vermicompost, also known as worm castings. These can function as an all-natural fertilizer that provides a high amount of water-soluble nutrients that are essential to plant growth.
What makes this fertilizer better than others is that it can be quickly absorbed by plants, since worms break down the material into what must be their simplest forms. In addition to this, it contains nutrients that are not readily available and yet are essential for the long-term nutrient requirement for plants. It is also not quickly lost in the soil, unlike chemical fertilizers.
Aside from allowing your vegetables to grow excellently, the application of this fertilizer also helps keep damaging bugs, insects, and parasites away from your vegetables.
- our best formula, fortified with 11 essential nutrients
- works with virtually all plant varieties, in all growing conditions
- feeds up to 6 full months
- apply with confidence to potted plants, indoors or outdoors
- no-burn pledge when used as directed
This fertilizer contains 11 different essential nutrients and according to the manufacturer, it can be used on just about any plant variety, whatever the season is, and users agree with this. Moreover, it is said that it cannot cause any damage to your plant as long as it is used correctly.
It does not take long for this fertilizer to work! If you have a plant that hasn’t been looking healthy for a while, just apply a bit of this fertilizer and observe it come back to life again in about a day or two! Also, you can see increased leaf growth even after just one week of application!
- organic granular fertilizer; fast acting fertilizer for vegetables and tomatoes for a more abundant harvest
- omri listed for organic gardening by usda; certified organic means no synthetic chemicals
- contains jobe biozome; extremely aggressive proprietary microorganism archaea that aggressively breaks down material for faster results
- jobe’s biozome improves soil conditions; helps your garden resist disease, insects, drought and other unfavorable conditions within a growing season
- easy pour bag; fertilizer analysis: (2-5-3) 1.5 pound resealable bag, (2-5-3) 4 pound bag, (2-5-3) 16 pound bag
This fertilizer is marketed as a hundred percent organic, which means that it does not contain synthetic chemicals. But despite it being completely natural, it is one of the most effective fertilizers out there.
What makes this fertilizer stand out is the fact that it contains Jobe Biozome, which is a combination of microorganisms namely, bacteria, fungi, and archaea, to promote the breakdown of materials, so that the growth of your plants can be boosted much faster.
Aside from enhancing plant growth and increasing floral growth (and thus the number of fruits that a tree or plant can bear), this fertilizer can help your vegetables become resistant bugs and diseases, drought, and other causes of plant damage that may reduce your harvest.
- stimulates healthy root development
- for healthier fruit
- made with 100% organic and natural ingredients
- contains no gmos, chicken manure or sewage sludge
- feeds for several months
This fertilizer, which is helpful particularly for fruit trees, promotes root growth through its probiotic content. It also boosts the development of larger, healthier fruits. It’s completely organic, and it contains no synthetic chemicals, so there’s nothing to be afraid of if this is the one you decide to use.
Many have been raving about this fertilizer because while it is less known than others, it does a really good job. It works fast, it induces flowering, promotes the development of fruits, increases plant height, and even revives even the unhealthiest looking plants!
- cal mag plus 2-0-0 is custom designed
- highly beneficial calcium, magnesium, iron and trace mineral plant nutrient supplement
- helps with calcium, magnesium and iron deficiencies in nutrient fertilizer programs
- this product available in 2.5-gallon
- container's measure 9-inch length by 7-inch width by 14-inch height
If you know exactly what nutrient your plant is lacking and if it’s calcium, magnesium, or iron, then this is probably the fertilizer you should buy.
Symptoms of calcium deficiency in plants include curling of the leaves, death of terminal buds, and stunted overall plant growth. If magnesium is the nutrient that your plant is lacking, then you will observe the yellowing of the leaves. Lack of iron also contributes to the yellowing of plant leaves.
This plant supplement can be used for hydroponics, soil gardens, and container gardens wherein flowering plants, as well as vegetable or fruit-bearing plants such as tomatoes, lettuce, and bell peppers are grown.
This fertilizer from Botanicare even comes with a one year warranty.
- organic fertilizer spikes; time release fertilizer; pre-measured to provide plants with nourishment at their roots
- contains jobe’s biozome…the proprietary microorganism archaea that aggressively breaks down material for faster results
- jobe’s biozome improves soil conditions, helps resist disease, insects, and drought during the growing season
- no mess easy to use spikes; prevents waste and run-off; guaranteed analysis: (2-7-4) 50 spikes in resealable bag
- omri listed for organic gardening by usda; certified organic means no synthetic chemicals
Jobe’s Organics produces effective fertilizers and this is one of their most highly-praised products. Often, fertilizers are in liquid or solid bead-like form, but this one is different since this comes in doses that are called “spikes.” Spikes are like medical drugs in capsules since they are pre-measured. This reduces the risk of putting too much or too little fertilizer to a single plant. Also, it makes the fertilizing process much faster, easier, and mess-free.
The active ingredients in this fertilizer include nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sulfur. It helps to increase floral and fruit growth and it also boosts plant growth and development of healthy, green leaves.
Like other products from Jobe’s Organics, this also contains Jobe’s Biozome, which is a combination of microorganisms that promotes the breakdown of material, which contributes to enhanced plant growth.
- contains natural ingredients to feed microbes in the soil
- specially formulated with micronutrients to help plants grow strong and produce more fruits and vegetables versus unfed plants
- feeds up to 3 months
- calcium helps form stronger cell walls, producing better quality and longer-lasting fruits and vegetables. plus, it helps prevent disorders in edible crops commonly associated with calcium deficiency.
- for use in ground and in containers
A lot of growers swear by this vegetable fertilizer. According to the manufacturer, it contains micronutrients for the plant itself as well as natural ingredients for the microorganisms present in the soil.
This fertilizer makes miracles even for those plants that seem to be hopeless. It increases the turgidity of plants, increases fruit number and size, promotes plant growth, and increases flowering.
This can be used in crops in soil gardens or container gardens. During the application, be careful to read the instructions. Apply dry and evenly, then mix into the top layer of soil, then add some water.
Fertilizers are considered a necessity when you are growing vegetables. This is particularly because vegetables are gathered later on for human consumption and certainly, you must want to have a bountiful harvest. Do your research by asking experts or seeking the help of Google to find out what type of fertilizer is best for whatever vegetable you are currently growing. Apply a generous amount of fertilizer to each of your vegetables, but at the same time, be careful during application, since overdoing it may damage your plant.